Uber-related claims have gained widespread media attention. They continue to gain the attention of legal experts and officials due to the new nature of rideshare laws and legal processes. Because of these complexities, it is crucial that anyone experiencing assault involving an Uber ride seek the guidance of a skilled Uber lawyer.
At Kherkher Garcia, LLP, our rideshare and sexual assault lawyers know how difficult it can be to explore your rights after an assault. We provide trusted, compassionate legal support to victims of Uber assaults, and work tirelessly to obtain justice. Below, we provide information on Uber assault claims, as well as helpful information for what to do to protect yourself if an assault occurs.
An Overview of Uber Assault Claims
Uber has been facing allegations of assault by drivers on its platform for several years. In 2019, the company released its first US Safety Report, which found that it had received 5,981 reports of sexual assault between 2017 and 2018.
In 2022, Uber released its second US Safety Report. The report found that there were 998 sexual assault incidents, including 141 rape reports, in 2020. The report also found that the number of sexual assault reports had decreased by 38% from 2017 to 2020.
Despite the decrease in sexual assault reports, Uber is still facing a number of lawsuits from women who claim they were assaulted by drivers. In July 2022, a law firm filed a lawsuit on behalf of 550 women who allege they were sexually assaulted by Uber drivers. The lawsuit claims that Uber failed to adequately screen its drivers and failed to take steps to protect passengers from assault.
Uber has denied the allegations in the lawsuit and has said that it takes safety very seriously. The company has implemented a number of safety features in recent years, including a background check program for drivers, a 911 button in the app, and a feature that allows riders to share their location with friends or family.
The outcome of the lawsuit is still pending. However, the allegations against Uber highlight the need for rideshare companies to take safety seriously.
What Happens if I Report An Assault to Uber?
When an assault claim is made, Uber encourages individuals to report the incident through their app or website. The company typically suspends the accused driver’s account pending an investigation to ensure passenger safety. Uber may also cooperate with law enforcement authorities to conduct a thorough investigation.
Uber has implemented safety features such as GPS tracking, two-way feedback systems, and anonymized contact information to enhance rider and driver safety. Additionally, the company has partnered with third-party background check providers to screen drivers and identify any criminal records or safety concerns. However, it’s important to note that no system is completely foolproof, and incidents can still occur.
What Can I do to Be Safer While Using Rideshare Companies?
Riders should be aware of the risks of assault and should take steps to protect themselves, such as sharing their ride with a friend or family member and paying attention to their surroundings. While using rideshare companies, such as Uber, Lyft, or others, you can take several steps to enhance your safety. Here are some tips to consider:
Verify the Vehicle and Driver
Before entering the vehicle, ensure that the car and driver match the information provided in the app. Check the license plate, driver’s photo, and compare them with the details provided in the app. Some rideshare apps provide additional safety features like color-coded signs or unique identifiers to help you identify your driver.
Share Your Trip Details
Utilize the feature in the app that allows you to share your trip details with a trusted friend or family member. They will be able to track your ride in real-time and know when you arrive at your destination.
Wait in Safe Locations
While waiting for your ride, try to wait in well-lit, populated areas. Avoid isolated or dimly lit locations, as they can potentially pose safety risks. If you feel uncomfortable with the pickup location, consider moving to a safer spot.
Travel in Groups
Whenever possible, travel with companions, especially during late-night hours. There is safety in numbers, and having others with you can help deter potential risks.
Trust Your Instincts
If you feel uncomfortable or uneasy about a driver or the vehicle, trust your instincts. If something feels off, it’s better to cancel the ride and wait for another one or consider alternative transportation options.
Sit in the Back Seat
As a passenger, it’s generally safer to sit in the back seat. This provides some distance and can give you more options for exiting the vehicle if needed.
Avoid Sharing Personal Information
Be cautious about sharing personal information with your driver or other passengers. You have the right to maintain your privacy and limit the amount of personal information you disclose.
Stay Alert and Aware
Pay attention to your surroundings throughout the ride. Avoid distractions like excessive phone use or wearing headphones that may prevent you from being fully aware of your surroundings.
Remember, while these tips can help enhance your safety, they cannot guarantee complete protection. Trusting your instincts, being cautious, and taking proactive measures are crucial when using rideshare services or any form of transportation.
What to Do if An Uber Assault Happens to You
If you are a victim of assault or violence during an Uber ride, it is crucial to prioritize your safety and well-being. Here are some ways you can protect yourself and get the help you need:
- Seek Medical Attention: If you are injured, it is important to seek medical help immediately. Your well-being should be your top priority.
- Report the Incident: Contact the authorities and report the incident to the police. They can initiate an investigation and help gather evidence.
- Document the Details: Take note of any relevant information about the incident, including the time, location, description of the assailant(s), and any other details you remember. If possible, take photos or videos of the scene or any visible injuries.
- Preserve Evidence: Keep any physical evidence related to the incident, such as clothing or personal belongings. It may be useful during the investigation or legal proceedings.
- Contact Uber: Report the incident to Uber through their app or website. Provide them with detailed information about the assault, including the date, time, and description of the incident. Uber will initiate an investigation and may reach out to you for further information.
- Seek Legal Advice: Consider consulting with a personal injury lawyer who specializes in assault claims. They can provide guidance on your legal options, help protect your rights, and assist in seeking compensation for any damages or injuries you have suffered.
Remember, every situation is unique, and it is important to consult with a legal professional who can provide advice based on your specific circumstances and local laws.
When Should I Contact an Uber Lawyer?
There are several situations where you might need an Uber lawyer, particularly if you are involved in legal matters related to Uber or its services. Here are a few common scenarios:
- Assault: If you are assaulted – physically or sexually, an Uber lawyer can help you understand your rights and pursue justice. Aside from any criminal charges that may arise, an Uber lawyer can advise you of your rights to seek civil action and compensation against the person who assaulted you and/or Uber.
- Accidents and Personal Injury: If you were involved in an accident while using an Uber service as a passenger, driver, or pedestrian, you may need an Uber lawyer to help you navigate the legal process. They can assist you in dealing with insurance companies, determining liability, and seeking compensation for your injuries or damages.
- Discrimination and Harassment: If you have experienced discrimination or harassment by Uber drivers, passengers, or employees, an Uber lawyer can guide you through the process of reporting the incident, gathering evidence, and pursuing legal action if needed.
It is important to consult with a qualified lawyer who specializes in Uber-related legal matters to assess your specific situation and provide personalized advice based on the relevant laws and regulations in your jurisdiction.
What if I’m not Ready to File a Lawsuit?
Filing a lawsuit is a decision that only you can make once you have explored your rights and options. It is difficult to consider reliving your experience through the legal process, but it can help you find justice, closure, and healing. Filing a lawsuit can also help hold companies like Uber accountable for their practices and those they choose to employ.
Why Choose Kherkher Garcia for Uber Assault Claims?
When you are recovering from a traumatic experience like assault or sexual assault, you need a lawyer on your side who understands compassion, confidentiality, and the importance of holding those responsible accountable. At Kherkher Garcia, we have stood up against major corporations, healthcare facilities, and universities, and more. We are passionate about protecting your rights and getting justice for victims of assault.
The lawyers at Kherkher Garcia have more than 30 years of experience helping clients with sexual assault, personal injury, medical malpractice, product liability, and more. We know how to build a strong case and obtain justice and compensation for our clients.
If you have questions about Uber assault claims, or believe you have a case, please do not hesitate to contact us. We offer free, confidential consultations to help you make the best informed decisions. Start your consultation by calling us at 713-333-1030. You can also reach out to us online.
Image by Freepik