Tragedy struck on an Ohio interstate last week when a horrifying collision between a tractor-trailer, a charter bus, and another vehicle occurred. The accident claimed the lives of 6 people involved, and injured at least 18 others. This tragic event has sent shockwaves through the communities of those involved, especially since the bus was carrying mostly high school students and their chaperones.
At Kherkher Garcia, our hearts truly go out to those affected by this tragic incident. As truck accident lawyers, we have worked closely with victims and their families, and we understand how devastating an accident truly is. Below, you will find information about the recent accident and how it is raising questions of safety, as well as information about how you and your family can get help if you are involved in an accident.
Tragic Truck Accident Information
The bus involved in the crash was carrying students and chaperones from the Tuscarawas Valley Local School District. They were heading to an Ohio School Boards Association conference in Columbus.
The Tuscarawas Valley Local School District, grappling with the heartbreaking news, shared updates on the situation through Facebook posts. Superintendent Dr. Derek Varansky expressed the district’s profound concern, saying,
“We understand from law enforcement that there may be multiple serious injuries, and we are working to learn the details. We will share news with you as we are able, including our plans for upcoming school days and events.”
As the investigation into the crash unfolds, questions about the circumstances leading to the collision will be raised. Road safety, driver responsibility, and vehicle maintenance will all come under scrutiny to determine the causes and contributing factors. Such incidents often prompt discussions about the need for improved safety measures, stricter regulations, and enhanced awareness of the dangers posed by large commercial vehicles on the road.
What to do if You are Involved in a Truck Accident
Experiencing a truck accident is a traumatic and confusing event. Here are some steps you can take after a truck accident to protect yourself, others at the scene, and your legal rights:
- Ensure Safety: Check yourself and others involved in the accident for injuries. If possible, move to a safe location away from traffic to prevent further harm.
- Call Emergency Services: Dial 911 to report the accident. Request medical assistance if anyone is injured. Also, report the accident to law enforcement to document the incident.
- Seek Medical Attention: Even if you feel okay initially, it’s crucial to seek medical evaluation. Some injuries might not show immediate symptoms. Keep records of all medical examinations, treatments, and expenses related to the accident.
- Exchange Information: Collect information from the truck driver and any other involved parties. Get names, contact details, insurance information, and license plate numbers. If there are witnesses, obtain their contact information as well.
- Contact Your Insurance Company: Report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible. Provide factual information but avoid admitting fault or giving recorded statements until you’ve spoken with a lawyer.
- Know Your Rights: Understand the statute of limitations and deadlines for filing a claim or lawsuit in your state. Consulting with a lawyer can help ensure you meet all necessary legal requirements within the specified timeframe.
- Consult a Truck Accident Lawyer: Seeking legal advice early can protect your rights and help you navigate the complex legal process. A lawyer can guide you on what steps to take, handle communications with insurance companies, and represent you if you pursue a claim or lawsuit.
Following these steps can help you prepare for your next steps after a truck accident. The health and safety of those involved is the first priority. But there are also things to consider, such as insurance claims, and what comes next. That is where a truck accident lawyer can help.
How a Lawyer Can Help Victims
A truck accident lawyer can play a crucial role in assisting clients who are injured in a truck accident. Here are some ways that a lawyer can help:
- Legal Guidance and Representation: A truck accident lawyer helps clients navigate the complex legal procedures following a truck accident. They explain the client’s rights and legal options, guiding them through the process of filing a claim or lawsuit.
- Investigation: Lawyers often have a team that investigates the accident thoroughly. They gather evidence, including police reports, witness statements, accident scene photos, and sometimes even work with accident reconstruction experts to determine liability.
- Determining Liability: Truck accidents can involve multiple parties, including the truck driver, trucking company, maintenance contractors, and manufacturers. Lawyers assess the case to identify liable parties and hold them accountable for their negligence.
- Dealing with Insurance Companies: Truck accident lawyers handle communications with insurance companies on behalf of their clients. They negotiate for fair compensation to cover medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, pain, and suffering.
- Litigation, if Necessary: If an agreement cannot be reached through negotiation, the lawyer may proceed to trial. They represent the client in court, presenting the case and advocating for fair compensation.
- Providing Support and Guidance: Throughout the process, a truck accident lawyer supports their clients emotionally and legally. They offer guidance, updates on the case’s progress, and answer any questions or concerns.
- Statute of Limitations Compliance: Lawyers ensure that all legal deadlines are met, as there are statutes of limitations that govern the time within which a lawsuit must be filed after an accident.
A truck accident lawyer provides comprehensive legal support and advocacy for individuals injured in truck accidents, aiming to secure fair compensation and protect their rights.
Contact a Truck Accident Lawyer
At Kherkher Garcia, we know how difficult the aftermath of an accident is, and we want you to know that we are here to support you and help ease the process of any settlements or claims that may arise. If you have any questions about your rights after being injured in a truck accident, Kherkher Garcia is here to assist you! Reach out to us at 713-333-1030, or fill out our online contact form to schedule your free consultation.