Blog

Amoeba Found at Water Park Causes Fatal Infections

Posted on Friday, October 8th, 2021 at 5:06 pm    

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirmed water samples taken from a Texas park contained a deadly amoeba. Naegleria fowleri, a brain-eating amoeba, caused an infection in a three-year-old boy playing at the popular splash pad.

Shortly after the excursion, he felt too weak to stand and didn’t have an appetite. He also developed a fever above 102 degrees. The boy’s parents took him to the hospital on September fifth, where he died six days later.

After his death, the CDC took water samples from the park for testing. They discovered the presence of the rare amoeba.

What Is Naegleria Fowleri?

Naegleria fowleri, also referred to as a brain-eating amoeba, can lead to primary amebic meningoencephalitis, an infection of the brain. Typically, the infection enters a person’s body through the nose, traveling to the brain.

The infection initially causes symptoms, such as:

  • Nausea
  • Fever
  • Severe frontal headache
  • Vomiting

As the infection progresses, it can lead to additional symptoms, including:

  • Seizures
  • Stiff neck
  • Hallucinations
  • Altered mental status
  • Coma

Unfortunately, for most people, primary amebic meningoencephalitis is fatal.

Although infection commonly occurs from swimming in freshwaters, such as rivers and lakes, it can also result from contact with contaminated water sources. Swimming pools and similar places with poorly chlorinated water can contain the brain-eating amoeba.

Lawsuit Against the City of Arlington

An investigation performed by the city discovered employees hadn’t properly maintained the water used in the splash pads. Records showed a lack of water quality tests before opening the park each day. Additionally, inspection logs showed the employees didn’t document water chlorination levels on two of the dates the boy’s parents had taken him to the park. City employees added more chlorine to the water system, but only after chlorination levels had fallen below the minimum required level on the date after the family’s last visit.

The boy’s parents filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the City of Arlington for more than $1 million in damages. Legal documents state the city didn’t adequately chlorinate and monitor the water in the sprayground and splash pad found at the public park. The grieving parents believe their son would still be alive if the city took the necessary precautions to maintain the park’s water quality.

In a news release, the deputy city manager disclosed the gaps found in inspections performed at the park. The Arlington Mayor also accepted responsibility for the boy’s death after receiving the results of the investigation.

Contact Kherkher Garcia, LLP Today

If you or a loved one developed an infection from water contaminated by Naegleria fowleri, do not hesitate to contact Kherkher Garcia, LLP. We are currently handling cases of this type, and we want to help you get the compensation you deserve for your medical bills and other expenses. The negligent party should be financially responsible for these costs.

Between 2010 and 2019, there have been thirty-four confirmed cases of the rare brain-eating amoeba in the United States. Most of them involve contaminated water at parks. We understand the devastation of getting sick or losing someone you love to a preventable incident like this. We believe in holding people accountable for their negligence so victims and their families can recover.

Contact Kherkher Garcia, LLP at (713) 333-1030 for your free consultation today. We can review the circumstances of your case and determine whether we can help. You can depend on our legal team to advocate for your rights and fight hard for the justice you deserve.